Thursday, December 16, 2010

Snowflake Bentley Snow Prints

First and second grade artists learned all about Vermonter Wilson "Snowflake" Bentley.  We read "Snowflake Bentley" by Jacqueline Briggs Martin and admired the beautiful illustrations by printmaker Mary Azarian.

We practiced drawing six pointed snowflakes by looking at photographs that Bentley took of snow crystals.  Then we used foam board to turn our snowflakes into stamps. We used our snowflake prints as ornaments and cards. 









3 comments:

  1. great idea! I'm always looking for printmaking projects!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this book! Great Blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! I love this project because it combines VT history, science and a truly cool art project! It's also a great seasonal, non-holiday oriented project. I was amazed at the results from first and second grade artists. My older students really wanted to give this project a try as well.

    ReplyDelete