Waitsfield students are in the midst of a fabulous Artist Residency with local potter Leslie Montalto. All students, pre-K to grade 6 have worked with Leslie to make three types of bowls. The first bowl is a simple pinch pot. The second is a slab bowl with printed texture. The third (and most students' favorite) is a bowl on the wheel.
In addition to working with Leslie in the art classroom, students also spent a day making site visits to other potters' studios or working on specific clay projects. The various activities included:
- Building a "pit fire" kiln at Leslie's house
- Learning about the Raku process with "The Naked Potter" Luke Iannuzzi
- Visit to Noel Bailey's pottery studio
- Working on pottery wheels at Montpelier Mud Studio
- Building clay bells with Katie Babic
- Hand-building pocket planters with potter Bobbie Platt (and me!)